MUSIC THAT KNOWS NO BORDERS!
Mosquito Cabaret is a folk & world-music sextet hailing from the waters of Norfolk, Virginia. Inspired by groups such as Gogol Bordello, Tom Waits, Golem, Beirut, & Shantel-- accordionist Miles Hoyle set out to recruit members for a group whose music would know no borders!
Forming in the summer of 2017 with a melting pot of sonic qualities; Mosquito Cabaret consists of equal parts folk, punk, klezmer, & humppa, while combining characteristics of other European traditions into the mix.
The group’s line-up features the versatile brass & woodwind work of Daniel Deskins & Joe Peterfeso; with sizzling saxophone solos by Deskins, who also pulls double-duty on clarinet— and the bouncy trombone of Peterfeso, who performs on trumpet as well. Underneath the blazing horns, lies the backbone of the band with the hard-hitting pulse of percussionist/drummer Michael Morgan and the bass grooves of Micah Kaplan. Miles Hoyle’s lively accordion swims and dances in the river of punk & pop poetry of Julian Ku’s vocals and skanking stage antics with the occasional mandolin and keyboard layered into this cabaret’s signature sound.
Within their first year they released the, “River King” single, enabling them to shake up audiences in Hampton Roads and building the momentum for what followed with their fairly recent debut full-length release, “The Modern Life Of Insects”.
With performances ranging from headlining at the Norva, to annually storming the stages of the nor-FOLK Fest, to invading the shores of Virginia Beach at Elevation27, and countless pop-ups at breweries— the lament of these lonely bloodsuckers proved to make a bold statement during their live performances.
The ensemble’s high energy and melodic folky flare even led to opening for national acts; sharing the stage with groups such as the Atom Age, Maid of Ace, Agents of Good Roots, the Toasters, Agent Orange, & Bella's Bartok.
Never skipping a beat, the swarm is growing as Mosquito Cabaret continues to buzz around at regional venues and festivals!
What others are saying about Mosquito Cabaret....
"blend of Jewish klezmer, Balkan folk, Finnish Humppa, and Greek rembetika will make you want to form an impromptu circle and dance the hora"
- Mark Suppanz, Big Takeover Magazine
"Mosquito Cabaret's name alone evokes an appropriately wild and dreamlike image that sums up their sound and performances: a buzzing, barefooted hodgepodge of gyspy jazz and theatrical punk. Not to be missed!"
- Sarah Serrano, O'Connor Brewing Co.
"...from gypsy-jazz, Polish polka, Irish-themed punk, and folk into one spectacular, blissful swinging bar party"
- Jeff Maisey, Veer Magazine
"...always worth pausing to appreciate a timeless and lament filled piece of folk music"
"...of immense delight in which to lose any sense of self-consciousness and just dance because there is no other option"
• July 21st, 2018 @ Hampton Block Party in Hampton, VA
• August 18th, 2018 @ Key City Steampunk Festival in Frederick, MD
• September 8th, 2019 @ Richmond Capital Ale House in Richmond, VA
• September 20th, 2019 @ the Norva in Norfolk, VA
• October 12th, 2019 @ Zeider’s American Dream Theater in Virginia Beach, VA
NOTABLE PAST PERFORMANCES
NOTABLE PRESS & AIRPLAY
• November 13th, 2017- “River King” was featured on KALX 90.7 FM Berkley, California.
• January 8th, 2018- Nominated in two categories for the Veer Magazine Music Awards: Song of the Year for, “River King” single + Best in World Music.
• April 13th, 2018- “River King” was featured on episode #110 of FreakOuternational podcast.
• August 26th, 2019- “The Modern Life Of Insects” named & Featured as WHRO’s Out of the Box’s Album of the Week with Paul Shugrue.
• September 6th, 2019- Mosquito Cabaret was featured in the Daily Press & Virginia Pilot.
Booking: Miles Hoyle